Sunday, August 24, 2014

Getting Started

     I did a lot or research and found a lot of benefits to stability balls. (If you would like to read the articles comment below and I will link them for you.) However, at the time I didn't see a whole lot of sites that were from teachers about how they did alternative seating or implemented the new seating in their classroom! I decided to go with stability balls, a carpet with bench, stools at a taller table, a lower table with cushions, standing desks, and one table of regular chairs. I was able to do this all for only $500!!! Below I have some pictures of my new classroom and then what I bought and the prices.


















Stability balls from Amazon for $32.59 ( After much deliberation I went with 55cm and they work great for 4th graders) 
Carpet and cushions from Target- They went on clearance this summer and I was able to get the carpet for $10 and the cushions for $5 each!!!
Camping Chairs from Walmart for $6.99
Computer Stools from Ikea for $4.99
Standing desk from Ikea for $39 (They were actually wall mounted tables)
Table Stools from Menards for $15 ( I had to go to two stores to get all four and then I spray painted them yellow)
Pillow cases from Ikea for $4.99 ( I just stuffed them with stuffing from old pillows I already had at home!
Bench from Walmart for $37.99 ( I turned the bookcase on it's side. )






4 comments:

  1. I would love any information you have. I would like to start this with my class this year to see if it makes a difference. I have a lot of focus issues and they do better sitting around the classroom during Daily 5 on the floor, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have alternative seating in my classroom as well. I attached a simple shelf from Lowes (2 actually) on the wall for standing workstations. I large ugly storage unit works well with stools. Lapdesks so they can really spread out. They love the choices and I love the independence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking in to alternative seating for this school year too! What articles did you find advocating seating choices? I've got the stability balls and am looking at tables instead of desks. What are you doing for pencils and folders? I'm currently thinking of baskets for folders and supply buckets. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you please email me the links lcarpenter@midlandschools.org. I am going to try to write a grant soon to help fund my classroom flexible seating.
    Thanks,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete